The library can help teens and young adult achieve their volunteer community service hour goals. Please note that while we always welcome applications, there are limits to the number of available openings the Library may have at a given time. We will keep your application on file. Thank you for your interest.
To join our team of Teen Library Volunteers:
- Be least 14 years of age.
- Commit to a regular schedule and be available to volunteer at least 1-2 hours a week. (Available hours are often in the late afternoon/early evening).
- Have the ability to work alone or with others. (Feel free to apply in groups. Having two friends work together makes the time go faster!)
Current Volunteer Activities:
- Relabeling project- changing the call numbers by creating new labels and adhering them to the books.
- Applying barcode, call number and location stickers to books.
- Gently peeling off old labels or "new" stickers.
- Placing book carts in order alphabetically or by call number.
- Setting up meeting rooms for various library programs.
- Shifting the collection to make the books fit better on the shelves.
- Shelf reading (making sure the books are in order by using this handy guide here
, please print and bring along with you.)
Volunteers must be:
- Able to listen to and follow directions.
- Self-starters who are able to work under little supervision (at times) due to the fact the librarian may have to be in and out of the office.
- Able to push a book cart and carry/shift piles of books.
- Good communicators- See something, say something! Not clear on the instructions- say something!
- Detail oriented- Place labels on straight, be on the lookout for mistakes.
- Clear about when they can and cannot make it to the library (please email email@example.com if you can't make your arranged time).
Click to fill out our Teen Volunteer form (this link will bring you to our Teen Blog, Librariham. Feel free to check that out as well): Volunteers form